• Errol Berman

Steps To Take Once A Relationship Has Broken Down

Updated: Oct 24, 2018

Nobody enters a marriage or relationship wanting it to end – but sometimes this can happen, and we understand that this can be a very difficult process to experience both emotionally and physically. So, to make your life easier, we have set out below a clear guide on the steps to take if your relationship breaks down and you are unsure of how to proceed.

Australian System

Australia operates under “no-fault” divorce. This means that the ground for a divorce is established by living separately and apart for a period of at least twelve months. To apply for a divorce, you would need to file an application with the Federal Circuit Court or the Family Court of Australia, providing you meet the requirements listed below.

Valid Marriage

You must prove that your marriage was valid to begin with to file for a divorce. For this you need your marriage certificate from the state or territory in which you were married.


The Court must have the jurisdiction to grant the divorce. This means that either you or your partner or both must answer yes to being at least one of the following;

  • Residing lawfully in Australia and intend to continue living in Australia; or

  • Is an Australian citizen; or

  • Is a legal resident of Australia; or

  • Has lived in Australia for a continuous period of 12 months prior to filing for    divorce

Breakdown of marriage Your marriage must have broken down with no reasonable likelihood that you will get back together. You should also be prepared to provide evidence of what was said or done on the date of separation to show that there was an intention to end the marriage. ​ Counselling

It would usually be worthwhile to have marriage counselling to try to save the marriage before embarking on the above steps. If you have been married for less than 2 years counselling is essential before you can file for divorce.

De Facto Relationship

Naturally if you are unmarried and your de facto relationship has broken down, divorce will not be relevant. However, if you have parenting issues or wish to have a property settlement the Federal Circuit Court will have jurisdiction to deal with these issues, as if you were married.

How can E Berman & Co Solicitors help me?

E Berman & Co Solicitors is a Chatswood law firm that has been providing quality legal services to the public since 1984. Contact our office at 9412 2493 – we’re more than happy to have a quick chat! 

Disclaimer The information, including statements, opinions, documents and materials contained in this Article is intended for general information only. The Information does not take account of any specific needs you may have, or your specific circumstances, and it is not intended to convey legal advice. If you rely on or use any information provided in the Newsletter you do so at your own risk. If you intend to rely on the information as legal advice you should contact us first, or seek your own legal advice before relying on it. 

Contact Errol on 9412 2493 E-mail: errol@ebandco.com.au

10 views0 comments